Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Earthen Way




Above me the herb-scented ceiling reeks
Of sage and scent and I suck and breathe in
Heavenly earthen aroma
Rafter-dry hanging bundles dangle with dust
Wood begetting arid plants of healing, health, and sustenance
And I breathe.

On the slanted cool of wooden chair supported and snug I sit
Comfort arms stroke me and I lean back on the straightness
Heady with the wood and the scent and the earth
I revel in its firmness and inhale the silence
And I breathe.

Pots and pots
Pile upon pile
They line up the walls
Pottery soldiers holding high, strutting in procession
Stacked according to size
They frame and fill the wooden wallboards
With smooth crockery sienna warmth
Hinting of a pregnant promise of growth
And better things to come!

Wicker bushel basket bursting
With the dryness of bundled fennel, savory, and thyme
Rosemary, lavender, parsley, peppermint
My tongue and senses are sharpened
I ache with the love of it!
And I breathe.
 
Wooden slats of floor beneath my feet
Bare-pressed against the coolness
Yet another earthen promise there to feel
In my toes and in my soul!
I worship the silence
I succumb to the dizzy scent
And I breathe.

pen name ~ cailin raine
Colleen Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment