Friday, March 29, 2013

Dad's Last Stand

 In memory of my father, Frances Merle Weber 1908 - 1999 


I got up that morning same as always
Kind of surprised I was still around
Well, breakfast for one more day anyways
Cereal and evaporated milk and pearl tea, half a banana…
When I think back now I’d been talkin’ ‘bout dyin’ for quite some time
My brother, Bill, dropped dead of a heart attack at forty-six, so
I kind of thought the same thing might happen to me.
 
I was always talkin’ ‘bout my heart givin’ out so that
No one would be too surprised, kind of warning them you see
I never thought I’d be livin’ yet at almost ninety-one
Oh, I could be ornery, I know that and most of the time
I kind of liked to just be alone, no one to bother me
But I did like it when the kids would come home to visit
And I tried to put on a cheerful face most of the time when they did come ‘round.
 
 
I‘d had a dream one night ‘bout a big house with all kinds of room
Thought it was Maw had come to get me and was showin’ me around
The ceilings were awful high, and I wondered why you’d waste all that space!
Guess it was a dream, thought it was, but it seemed different than that
Kind of like I was really there.
 
Later there was a lady came in the laneway and she was the one
Found me lyin’ on my face next to the tree at the back
Where I used to wash up after hayin’
Just fell down and stayed there, that was it then.
Saved Glenn findin’ me, was better that way.
I stayed around ‘til they called Gun and Carol, they had to
Get the police to come and make all that fuss,
Hardly seemed worth all that bother.
What else did they expect to happen when it was
An old bugger like me?

Ninety-one, imagine that.
Well I finally got to go see Maw.
They done ‘er up right, nice funeral like Maw’s was…
I always told them not to feel bad, made me feel bad
To see them all standin’ round cryin’.
 
Well I sure had enough time.
 
Nice up here in this here mansion with the tall walls…
Awful nice seein’ Maw again 'a course
Still don’t see why they wasted all this space.

with love
cailin raine

No comments:

Post a Comment