Saturday, March 23, 2013

If I Walk



If I walk the man-made dikes atop the grass grown wild
And wander along those pathways worn by hunters, men
I trod on the soil of labour and I reach into their souls
Excitement burning in me because I stroke their world.

The wind tosses my darkened curls about my face
My eyes turned skyward trace the clouds and the hawks
As one they soar sky high and daring, elevated beyond
The daily endurance and drudgery of day by day routine.

I am caught in the magic and I do not want to leave
This land of sacred heron and proud, white crane
The geese honk and chatter, the ducks fake a startle
A parade of sound and performance as I watch spellbound.

How I wish to be a part and not a spectator
To take the wind in my hands and hold it
To take the long, wild grasses and clasp them
To feel the languid waters against my soul and…keep it all for me!

I walk on and on and I never want to go
I want to keep these minutes, I want to climb into
The heart of them and stay to watch the maple leaves
Turn crimson and then fall softly to the carpet beneath.

I do not want to miss a single breath of it
I lean to touch the bark and caress the roughness
Against my cheek - I can feel the spirit stirring within
And does he wish to hold me just the same?

The golden rod and nannyberry, the dogwood and sumac
The wild apple smell in my nostrils makes me dizzy
The kind of buzz I could crave forever
I walk and walk and I do not miss a beat.

Dragonflies flit and land, dart and dash about me
Big, striped bees land on my shoulder and I gently push them on
Hawks bravely dip and hover, waiting for their mates
Nature itself is clapping aloud.

The sky is still blue and it is hours since I rested
I know my body commands me to take it home
The sun shimmers still even though the afternoon is dying
Ending, always ending, the things that I love all seem to leave.

One last long, sweeping gaze and I must depart
Back to a world where busy is the order of the day
I long for the disarray of tumbling weed and grass
The surprise of hidden bridge and concealed creeks.

If I walk in this Hullett place I remember the best
Of all the places that I have ever been
If I walk in this marshland space I am cleansed
And I go freely back to where I came from.

cailin raine

No comments:

Post a Comment