Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Moon Belly Dancing




Shadows of children dancing beneath my belly
In ethereal moonlight
Full moon shining on my pillow
Making me dream of young days
When my stomach was in rhythm
With the moon and the prowling world of men.

My heart is wistful because the moon no longer moves
My body into fertile response
The cycle is gently winding down
To another pathway of shadowy lane
Where the ghosts of children who might have been
Dance one more time to my heartbeat
Before they must leave and move on
Past this life chance to another.

Some other woman body will hold
Some other female cup will mold and mother
But not me, not mine, not my breast.

We have done this belly dance for so long
These ghosts and I, they, spirits on
The other side, dancing, dancing ‘round
My mother soul, waiting, wanting to be born.
Now they see the slowing and the tender sadness
Now they see me stoop, a little
Mother soul calls out in ancient longing
A rhythm never to be forgotten
A rhyming and a singing always in my heart!

There were more you see
More babies to cuddle and hold.

My belly groans with goodbye.

cailin raine

1 comment:

  1. My gratitude to Lilo, Debbie, and Christina because they loved this and they cried... and to Roger for listening into the female heart, and quietly identifying with us, that mystical gender so difficult to decipher!
    my love always
    cailin raine

    ReplyDelete