Sunday, March 10, 2013

Alkaso City


I was drawn into that place with dust in my face
Kinda haggard and worn out by then
Quite a sight on that old mule, sorry for him
But sorrier for myself.
Oh I knew I was selfish, but that didn’t bother me none
Just wanted to lay my head down on a pillow
With the company of a woman who was willin’.

First bar I seen was like dishes piled up in a stained sink
Stinkin’ and dirty, the noise was like static on an old radio
But it felt like home to me!
Couldn’t wait to tie up Norton, and settle myself on a bar stool
I ordered my first drink in miles, and belted back a cold snort.

How did I end up like this?
Once I had a kinda decent life
Never mind that now, got past wishin’ a long time ago
Got my face in the perfume of a woman’s neck
So my head doesn’t have to think no more, not right now anyways
I’ll wake up in the morning with the slimy grime of cheap lovin’
But some of the ache will be gone, and maybe then I can clear up my head a bit.
Told the old kitchen hand to throw the slop to Norton
Maybe the stable boy bedded him down out of mercy
Like this whore beside me, everyone has some kind of purpose.

Lookin’ out now at the sun shining hard on the porch out back
First time I noticed the sky in ages
Kind of surprised that the woman stayed around
Even brought me taters and grits for breakfast
And hot, strong coffee that stayed in my guts.
She’s sweepin’ out the cabin by the shed, for me, she said.

Maybe I’ll hang around here for a bit, Alkaso might grow on me
Same way her eyes locked onto my face is kinda growin’ on me
Didn’t think I had anything in myself left to give.

Could be wrong again.
 
Colleen Weber
pen name ~ cailin raine
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment