Friday, April 5, 2013

Poem For Shirley


You were angel hair on Christmas lights
Bright smiles and a hearty laugh!
You were “By Golly” and gifts from the heart.
You were life-packed letters from afar
And voice tapes from Europe filled with fun.

“Shirley” meant excitement and magic
And a special air about the farm.
When you were coming home
It meant “exceptional” and extra little touches,
Exquisite taste and impeccable décor.

My biggest regret is that you lived so far away
Too far for a daily chat or a routine drop-in
That is why my Sister candle gift to you
Sat in my closet waiting for the next visit
Why do we take so much for granted?

In lighting the Sister candle for you at your service
It represented all the gifts I wish I could have given
All the time I wish we’d had
All the miles that kept us apart
And all the love we shared in spite of everything.

Now that Sister candle sits in my living room
Beside my favourite picture of you, and behind
The dried, white rose that I kept from your celebration.
It still doesn’t seem right that you aren’t here with us.
I can still hear your magical voice, or catch a whiff
Of fragrance in the air, and glimpse a gossamer spirit
Dancing ‘round the Christmas lights with angel hair.

I hope you are happy, dancing in heaven with Gord.

You are lovingly missed on your birthday Shirley
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment